Friday, February 5, 2016

1. For each video and article list/discuss the key concepts you learned

Philosophy of Art:

  • I learned more about the meaning of aesthetics to different philosophers
  • Art isn't exactly about beauty
  • Contemporary aesthetics
  • Poetry is art according to Plato
  • Neoclassical
CARTA: 
  • Evolution of species
  • Emotions/Feeling
  • Conscious reading vs non conscious reading
  • Visible/Masked words
  • Symmetry
  • Binding
CNN Article:
  • Luminence
  • Peak shift principle
  • Seeing faces
  • Blackline outline examples
2. Which philosopher's theory on aesthetics do you feel is most important? Be sure to mention the philosophers name, era (time in history), and contribution to the aesthetic theory in your response.

Hutchenson during the 18th century thought humans have the sense of beauty and harmony.  The inner sense of beauty comes from external to internal and is spontaneous.  
3. What do you think about Changeux and Ramachandran scientific view of aesthetics and art? What was the most interesting fact you discovered from each speakers lecture?

I thought Changeux was hard to understand and his pictures were hard to view but I thought he made some good points.  I liked his definition of art although I don't really like how he uses the word "rules" because I do not believe art has rules.  I found it interesting how scaffolding was brought up during his presentation because as a education major I hear that word often but never thought I'd hear it in regards to art.

I like how Ramachandran pointed out that science of art is a oxymoron in the beginning in his presentation.  I like when he talked about the "perfect" girl and how beauty is different to everyone.  I agree that symmetry seems to be more appealing to the eye because I feel like it's amazing when something is perfectly symmetrical and we are just natural drawn to objects that display that.  I also liked his peak shift principal and how he compared it to animals.  
4. How do the videos and article relate to the readings in the text?

These videos and article basically just emphasize again that art is different to everyone and what people see will vary from person to person due to our brains 
5. What is your opinion of the films and article? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics in your reading in the text?

I enjoyed the Philosophy of Art video better because they showed more pieces of art in this video.  Also in the second video I really struggled to hear the first speaker and it was frustrating.  The resources helped me understand more about how our brain has to do with how we view art.   There's a lot of scientific things that actually deal with how we feel and look at art; which is something I never really thought about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment