Monday, March 7, 2016

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
Prairie Style:
  • Laying of horizontals
  • House should represent time, place and client
  • "organic"- part of the landscape/nature
  • harmony with nature
  • open floor plan
  • good unity between nature, furniture, detail, exterior and interior

Architecture: The Science of Design:
  • Foundation
  • Sensors in houses to minimize electricity use
  • Concrete
  • Must consider dead weight/ weight with people
  • Pre-stressed concrete
  • Reinforced concrete

2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
In the text, we read about Frank Lloyd Wright and his trade mark 'prairie houses".  We learn about his way of doing things and are given some examples as to why so many critics believe that he is the greatest American architect of his time.  Also, in the text we learn about reinforced concrete which is mentioned in the second video I watched.  
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture?
I think the films add more depth to topics we have read in the text because sometimes having more of a visual is more useful when it comes to understanding.  I think watching the videos instead of just looking at the pictures and having someone else talk about it makes it easier to understand.  Being able to see examples of prairie houses in the film made me realize what exactly Frank Lloyd Wright did and how they turned out.  Also watching how the reinforced concrete worked in the film made me understand the concept better.  
4. Why did you choose the films that you watched?
I decided to chose the Prairie style video because I like the architecture of it.  I like how nature was always incorporated with the house and was respected.  I also enjoy houses where he used windows to kinda break the barrier of inside outside.  Ceiling to floor windows are something i'd like to have in my house.  I decided to watch the second video because I was interested in learning more about how we build skyscrapers and other buildings.  I was also interested in learning about the sensors that people can have in their households.  

No comments:

Post a Comment